Re: [dhcwg] IPR statement related to draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-X.txt

Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> Fri, 06 February 2004 22:49 UTC

Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] IPR statement related to draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-X.txt
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:44:29 -0600
To: Kim Kinnear <kkinnear@cisco.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

On Feb 6, 2004, at 3:54 PM, Kim Kinnear wrote:
> If I think you will prevent the draft from moving forward, then I
> may skip the patent.  And the other guy may not even tell us
> about their patent(s) until after we've all started using the
> technology and become dependent on it.
>
> Is this the choice you want me to make?  Seriously?

I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter which of these two avenues you
pursue, as long as you publish the draft before the stealth patent is
filed.   I am not arguing that people shouldn't do defensive patents.
I am arguing that this wg should not advance drafts that have patent
terms that could be used to prevent the distribution of open source
software or that could be damaging to companies that have no patent
portfolio for cross-licensing.

I am trying to be consistent with regard to various drafts that are
under consideration by the wg - it is not at all my intention to say
that any of the companies who have IP interests in these drafts
actually have any bad intentions, and indeed we have a long history
that suggest otherwise, at least in the case of Cisco (maybe in the
case of PacketFront as well, but I'd never heard of them until this
came up).

It is not even my motivation to defend Nominum from some imagined
future problem like this - Nominum is a commercial entity, not an
individual open source developer.   So I'm speaking with my Ted hat on,
not my Nominum hat (indeed, I think the folks at Nominum would be quite
dismayed if I claimed to represent Nominum's opinions here!).

It is my right as a member of the WG to make this argument against a
draft.   It is the right of other members of the WG to agree with me,
or to disagree with me.   It is Ralph's job to decide whether or not
there's consensus to advance the draft.   We are all doing our jobs
here; there's no need to get emotional about this.

Having said that, I must apologize for overstepping the bounds of my
job as a WG participant.   It was pointed out to me that my position
toward PacketFront was inconsistent with my position toward Cisco.   In
the process of trying to establish some consistency, I responded in a
very defensive way to John, and said some things about the
circumstances of the release of the Cisco 802.1x suboption draft which
I do not know to be true, based solely on my admittedly poor memory.
I also said something that for some readers seemed to imply that I
thought Cisco was planning something nefarious.   This is not what I
meant - I was just explaining the logical reasoning behind preferring
"zero royalty" to "reasonable" in an IPR statement.

I am sorry for having gone overboard in my response to John, and I'm
particularly sorry for any offense I may have caused to the folks at
Cisco, many of whom I have worked with for over a decade in various
corporate incarnations, and all of whom, including John, I hold in very
high esteem.   It's been a privilege working with all of you lo these
many years, and I absolutely hate feeling like I'm at odds with you.

I am not going to withdraw my argument for not advancing the
subscriber-id draft, because I believe it is correct, and within the
purview of this wg.   If Ralph determines that I'm the lone wolf here,
I will respect the wg's decision.   I encourage other members of the WG
to make their wishes known, whether they agree with me or disagree with
me, but I hope that despite my own example we will not get into a long
flamewar on the pros and cons of software patents.   We are all
reasonable people here, and have been at IETF long enough to know that
we are not going to convert each other.