RE: [dhcwg] Assigning DHCPv6 option codes

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Wed, 23 January 2002 07:37 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Assigning DHCPv6 option codes
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 01:22:42 -0600
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Personally, I've always thought it best to have the two option spaces avoid overlap.

But, the other proposal is OK by me as well. I assume you are referring to redefining the <type> could field from draft-ietf-dnsext-dhcid-rr-04.txt:

From section 3.4:

   The type code and the
   identifier are related as specified in Section 3.3: the type code
   describes the source of the identifier.

       type code           identifier

       0x0000              htype,hlen,chaddr from the client's DHCPREQUEST

       0x0001-             'data' portion of a DHCP option from the
       0xfffe              client's DHCPREQUEST

       0xffff              RESERVED

Would be changed to something like:

   The type code and the
   identifier are related as specified in Section 3.3: the type code
   describes the source of the identifier.

       type code           identifier

       0x0000              htype,hlen,chaddr from the client's DHCPREQUEST (DHCPv4)

       0x0001		   client identifier (DHCPv4)

       0x0002              DUID (DHCPv6)

       0x0003-             Available for future type codes, type code space is
       0xfffe               to be managed by IANA

       0xffff              RESERVED

- Bernie