Re: [dhcwg] recommendation on DHCP6 source port numbers

"rob@deepdivenetworklng.com" <rob@deepdivenetworking.com> Thu, 29 February 2024 23:36 UTC

From: "rob@deepdivenetworklng.com" <rob@deepdivenetworking.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:35:55 -0800
Cc: Bernie Volz <bevolz@gmail.com>, David Farmer <farmer=40umn.edu@dmarc.ietf.org>, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] recommendation on DHCP6 source port numbers

Just my $.02,

In most enterprise implementations I deal with (and these range from a small school to a fortune 50 customer)  DHCP most often does go through one or more firewalls, and worse now it often can go through what cloud providers call firewalls (not all suck but for some…just wow).  So I think factoring in firewalls is critical. I again am for the locked source/destination, yet my argument is “is it our role to tell them which source port?" We certainly say which destination/listening port. But should we do any more than a recommendation on source or a tidbit on why using matching source-destination is helpful for firewalls and say monitoring/security tools?  To me Destination = MUST, Source = SHOULD (and like a weak should)

Rob