Re: [Diffserv] parameters section missing from the Diffserv PIB

Kwok Ho Chan <khchan@NortelNetworks.com> Fri, 13 September 2002 17:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:18:46 -0400
To: Yacine El Mghazli <yacine.el_mghazli@alcatel.fr>
From: Kwok Ho Chan <khchan@NortelNetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [Diffserv] parameters section missing from the Diffserv PIB
Cc: Kwok-Ho Chan <khchan@NortelNetworks.com>, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, Lemponen Jussi <juzi@cs.tut.fi>, diffserv@ietf.org, "rap@ops.ietf.org" <rap@ops.ietf.org>
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

Yacine:
Please see response embedded below.
Thanks!
-- Kwok --

At 09:54 AM 9/13/02 +0200, Yacine El Mghazli wrote:
>Kwok Ho Chan wrote:
>
>>Yacine, Jussi:
>>The Diffserv PIB already IMPORT Dscp and IfDirection from different
>>modules of
>>the Diffserv MIB.  So I did not think there is any issue to also reused
>>the definitions
>

>ok for reuse but here we're talking about OIDs...
>my question is: what is the signification of MIB-specific OIDs within a PIB ?

These "OBJECT-IDENTITY" are just constant values used to represent a
standardized
parameter (more like a global #define in C).  They are just as if
the  "OBJECT-IDENTITY"
is defined in a PIB.  We are thinking of new PIBs reusing technology
dependent definitions
in either existing PIBs or MIBs, whenever possible.
Hope this answered your concerns.

>in the previous versions of the PIB draft, these were identified by PRIDS,
>they pointed towards a PRC within the same PIB... how does it work now ?

In DSPIB-06, IfSchedulerCapsServiceDisc and TBParamType were of type
"OBJECT IDENTIFIER", referencing objects of type "OBJECT-IDENTITY",
for example qosTBParamSimpleTokenBucket and qosSchedulerPriority.

Now they are of type "AutonomousType" which are TCs with syntax of
"OBJECT IDENTIFIER", as defined in RFC 2579 (SNMPv2-TC).
Referencing objects of type "OBJECT-IDENTITY", for example
diffServTBParamSimpleTokenBucket and diffServSchedulerPriority.

Hence there is no change from the compiler point of view, and no change
from a usage point of view.  This is not related to PRIDS.