RE: [Dime] Review of draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-03.txt

Preeti Shandilya <preeti.shandilya@aricent.com> Wed, 12 December 2007 04:30 UTC

To: jouni.korhonen@teliasonera.com
Subject: RE: [Dime] Review of draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-03.txt
From: Preeti Shandilya <preeti.shandilya@aricent.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:59:09 +0530
Cc: dime@ietf.org, gshafran@traffixsystems.com

Hi Jouni !

In my opinion, if it is required that all the messages to follow the same
proxy node(so that proxy can apply charging) , this shall be specific
node's routing policy. i.e Source,  while selecting a route, it should
always end up selecting the proxy node for sending the message. I don't
think there is any need of standardization of routing policy for this
specific purpose. While selecting the route, nodes can look into the type
of service also inside the message which is to be routed further.

regards
preeti

<jouni.korhonen@teliasonera.com>
12/12/2007 04:19 AM

<glenzorn@comcast.net>
cc
<dime@ietf.org>, <gshafran@traffixsystems.com>, Preeti Shandilya/HSS@HSS,
<tasveren@sonusnet.com>
Subject
RE: [Dime] Review of draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-03.txt

Glen,

> > I am not sure why there is a requirement for subsequent session
> > oriented message to traverse the same intermediary hops which the
> > initial message has traversed.
>
> What if some of the intermediates are stateful and e.g.
> collect charging data by tracking the user session?
>
> [gwz]
> I must admit that I cannot think of a single (real-life)
> scenario where this kind of thing would be desirable (let
> alone required).  Would you mind describing one in detail?
> [/gwz]

References to literature were given earlier in this thread ;)

Anyway, assume two providers connected via "roaming infrastructure
cloud" that cannot guarantee same AAA routes deterministically. The
visited provider has outsourced its AAA based roaming charging to
third party proxies within the "cloud" (each provider may have their
own "third party").

/Jouni

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."