RE: [Dime] Review of draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-03.txt

Preeti Shandilya <preeti.shandilya@aricent.com> Tue, 11 December 2007 04:19 UTC

To: "Asveren, Tolga" <tasveren@sonusnet.com>
Subject: RE: [Dime] Review of draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-03.txt
From: Preeti Shandilya <preeti.shandilya@aricent.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:48:54 +0530
Cc: dime@ietf.org, Gil Shafran <gshafran@traffixsystems.com>

Hi !

I am not sure why there is a requirement for subsequent session oriented
message to traverse the same intermediary hops which the initial message
has traversed.
Ultimate requirement is that the session oriented message should landup at
the same destination host to which the first message,  with respect to
that session , has reached. As per RFC the subsequent message shall have
the destination host embedded in the message. So irrespective of the path
which intermediary message follow, if it reaches to the same destination
node, everything shall work fine.

Only requirement which is mandatory here is that response message should
follow the same route which request message has traversed,  to have the
correct entry of the hop-by-hop Id. Also there need to be a mechanism so
that mapping created at the intermediary hops should be periodically
deleted to take care of the scenario of not receiving response from the
server ever. i.e If server responds to the resent request from client
(which follows the different path)  and original request was never
answered.

Pardon, if I am missing something

Regards,
-Preeti

"Asveren, Tolga" <tasveren@sonusnet.com>
12/11/2007 12:56 AM

"Gil Shafran" <gshafran@traffixsystems.com>, <dime@ietf.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [Dime] Review of draft-tsou-dime-base-routing-ext-03.txt

Hi Gil,

I think explicit routing issue is more related with visited network
(actually any network) trying to make sure that messages for a session
traverse some of the intermediaries, which were used during routing of
the initial request for that particular session. I don't see this
mechanism as the originator of the session enforcing a path
(potentially/partly in another network) before the session is
established. BTW, intermediaries which do not want to stay on the path
don't need to participate.

A network with all elements stateful won't have an issue but here the
key point is that *all* elements should have the intelligence to select
the same next-hope for all requests of a particular session.

 Thanks,
 Tolga

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent  and is intended solely for the use of
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."