Re: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt

Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com> Wed, 23 July 2008 20:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:43:53 -0500
From: Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Hannes

Please find my reply...

BR
Frank

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Frank Xia" <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
Cc: <dime@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Dime] Relationship between
draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and
draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt

> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Xia wrote:
>> Hi Hannes
>>
>> Please check my reply..
>>
>> BR
>> Frank
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Hannes Tschofenig"
>> <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>

Frank=>RAR means Reauthentication or Reauthorization request.
IMHO, there should be an authentication or authorization before.
The message is still coupled with previous authentication.

Can we use the PAR/PAA without invloveing previous authentication?
I don't think so in RFC4005 context.

>>> I mean, you want to provide
>>> * prefix
>>> * lifetime
>>> * certificate
>>> from the AAA server to the AAA client.
>>> What else?
>> Frank=> I can only find these now.

>>> I would like to better understand what the AAA server should be doing
>>> based on this hint.
>>> Is the "hint" used to identify the end user and it's host?
>> Frank=>The hint is only for expressing client's preference.  The
>> server may honor this or not based on it's own discretion.
>>
> I guess you need to describe the details of this hint a bit more.
Frank=>OK.

>>> OK.
>>>
>>> I don't think that you need to say that since this is already done
>>> today.

>>> I know IPv6 renumbering but I was wondering about the following issue.
>>>
>>> IPv6 renumber should occur less frequently and hence the lifetime is
>>> rather long.
>>> A AAA session typically isn't very long lived and it is possible to
>>> influence the lifetime with various parameters.
>> Frank=>IMHO, I don't agree with your assumption on AAA session lifetime.
>> In fact, many people including me are always online because many
>> operators
>> don't charge based on time.  For example, $30 a month is for no limited
>> access.
>>
> I don't know your home setup but typically you have a DSL router at home
> and your PC / laptop may be running all the time. Your DSL router
> re-connects automatically when re-authentication is needed.
Frank=>IMHO,you assume that outgoing traffic trigger DSL router
reconnection.
It is not true in some scenarios.  E.g.  if  you want to access your
home computer which is not connecting to the network,  I don't think
the DSL router can initiate re-connect.