[Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 23 July 2008 12:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:41:16 +0300
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: dime@ietf.org
Subject: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

I have sent my rechartering questions around regarding these two
documents. I took a brief look at them and I wonder what the
relationship between the two documents is. Why are there 2 documents on
almost the same subject?

When I browse through
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt
then I sometimes get the impression that you would like to later
standardize a Diameter application. I wasn't sure why additional AVPs
aren't sufficient, in case existing AVPs cannot be re-used?

Let me also comment on a few selected items:

AAA-based prefix authorization (PA) application MUST run between a NAS,
located on AR, LMA, MR, etc. and an AAA server.

[hannes] This requirement does not say a lot. The AAA protocol is always
run between a client and a server.

AAA-based PA application MUST support the AAA client to request prefixes
from an AAA server. AAA-based PA application MUST support the client to
give back the prefixes to the AAA server.

[hannes] With the last sentence you mean that you need to have a way to
indicate that the AAA session is terminated?

If Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) [RFC3971] is used by the devices on
the network, the certificate or the information needed to obtain a
certificate SHOULD also be sent by the AAA server to NAS.

[hannes] What information do you exactly want to carry towards the AAA
client?

In point-to-point link operation, the NAS MUST identify the interface of
MN in its request. The NAS MAY provide a prefix hint, e.g. of length /48
to which the AAA server MUST reply with one or more prefixes, e.g. of
length /64.

[hannes] how would such an interface identifier look like?

In point-to-point operation, the AAA server MAY assign the prefix(es)
and related parameters such as the lifetime and the certificates to MN
from MN's profile.

[hannes] I am not sure what this means. You mean that the AAA server
should keep state to make sure that it does not forget what it has
provided to the MN?
For some reason the problem is not well described. In Section 3 of
draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt you refer to RFC 4818
but I do not quite understand what you would like to see happening instead.

AAA-based prefix authorization application SHOULD support prefix release
procedures.

[hannes] isn't this the same as mentioned in the previous requirement
"AAA-based PA application MUST support the client to give back the
prefixes to the AAA server. "

The NAS is responsible for renewing the prefixes when the lifetime
expires. The NAS SHOULD be able to extend the lifetime of the prefixes
using messages designed for this purpose.

[hannes] Why wouldn't we tie the lifetime of the prefix to the lifetime
of the AAA session itself? Makes things much easier. The same applies a
bit to this requirement: "It SHOULD be possible to renumber the prefixes
authorized by AAA server. The AAA server SHOULD initiate prefix
renumbering process. "

RFC2119 seems to be a bit randomly used in the document.

Ciao
Hannes