Re: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 23 July 2008 20:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:13:21 +0300
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
Cc: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Frank,

Frank Xia wrote:
> Hi Hannes
>
> Please check my reply..
>
> BR
> Frank
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Hannes Tschofenig"
> <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>

I agree with you that RFC 4072 combines the prefix authorization
protocol run with the EAP protocol run.

RFC 4005 is a bit different since it has the RAR and RAA commands that
allow you to perform re-authorization.Wouldn't they be a nice fit?

>>> Frank=>In IPv6 renumbering scenario, it is necessary

>>> Frank=>IPv6 address prefix for NAS is authorized to route
>>>
>> I mean, you want to provide
>> * prefix
>> * lifetime
>> * certificate
>> from the AAA server to the AAA client.
>> What else?
> Frank=> I can only find these now.

>>> Frank=>Tentatively, it can be the interface identifier part of
>>> host's link local
>>> address, NAI (RFC4282), or MAC address.
>>>
>> I would like to better understand what the AAA server should be doing
>> based on this hint.
>> Is the "hint" used to identify the end user and it's host?
> Frank=>The hint is only for expressing client's preference.  The
> server may honor this or not based on it's own discretion.

I guess you need to describe the details of this hint a bit more.

>>> Frank=>Probably, the AAA server for prefix delegation is different from
>>> the AAA server for authentication.  So it is necessary to record the
>>> state.
>>>
>> OK.
>>
>> I don't think that you need to say that since this is already done
>> today.

>>> Frank=>It is the same.

>>> Frank=>IPv6 renumbering is a feature of IPv6.
>>> If we tie the lifetime of prefix to the lifetime of AAA session,
>>> it is certain that we can't suport IPv6 renumbering.
>>> Even though IPv6 renumbering probably happen probably
>>> infrequently, it is better for us to have such a mechnism to support.
>>>
>>> For IPv6 renumbering, here are some references
>>> RFC 1916/2071/2072/2874/2894/4076/4192.
>>>
>> I know IPv6 renumbering but I was wondering about the following issue.
>>
>> IPv6 renumber should occur less frequently and hence the lifetime is
>> rather long.
>> A AAA session typically isn't very long lived and it is possible to
>> influence the lifetime with various parameters.
> Frank=>IMHO, I don't agree with your assumption on AAA session lifetime.
> In fact, many people including me are always online because many
> operators
> don't charge based on time.  For example, $30 a month is for no
> limited access.

I don't know your home setup but typically you have a DSL router at home
and your PC / laptop may be running all the time. Your DSL router
re-connects automatically when re-authentication is needed.

>> Now, isn't it possible to re-authenticate and re-authorize the end
>> host in case of network renumbering. Given that you have to
>> re-authenticate quite often for other reasons as well shouldn't cause
>> big problems.
> Frank=>IMHO, it is not very graceful to kick off all the users
> when renumbering.
Maybe.

When I look at the IT problems I had this year then renumbering is the
least thing I worry about.

>> I am just trying to figure out how tough the requirements are.
> Frank=>IMHO, it is very hard to figure out before widely IPv6 deployment.
> However, it is probably too late after large scale deployment.

Difficult to know, I agree.

Ciao
Hannes