Re: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt

Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com> Wed, 23 July 2008 20:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:01:04 -0500
From: Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] Relationship between draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Hannes

Please check my reply..

BR
Frank
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Frank Xia" <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
Cc: <dime@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Dime] Relationship between
draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt and
draft-sarikaya-dime-prefix-delegation-ps-01.txt

> Hi Frank,
>
> thanks for the quick feedback.
>
> I have a few more comments inline
>
> Frank Xia wrote:
>> Hi Hannes
>>
>> I try to jump ahead of Behcet to  answer
>> some of your questions :-)
>>
>> Please check inline comments.
>>
>> BR
>> Frank
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Hannes Tschofenig"
>> <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>

Frank=>Yes.

>>> When I browse through
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt
>>> then I sometimes get the impression that you would like to later
>>> standardize a Diameter application. I wasn't sure why additional AVPs
>>> aren't sufficient, in case existing AVPs cannot be re-used?
>> Frank=>Prefix delegation is an authorization which may be
>> decoupled from an authentication. RFC4005/4072 only deal
>> with coupled authentication& authorization scenario.
>>
> It is true that the request for prefix authorization is not run
> independently from the message exchanges used for authentication.
Frank=>A little bit confusing.   You meant "independently " or not?

>>> Let me also comment on a few selected items:
>>>

>>> AAA-based prefix authorization (PA) application MUST run between a NAS,
>>> located on AR, LMA, MR, etc. and an AAA server.
>>>
>>> [hannes] This requirement does not say a lot. The AAA protocol is always
>>> run between a client and a server.
>>>

>>> AAA-based PA application MUST support the AAA client to request prefixes
>>> from an AAA server. AAA-based PA application MUST support the client to
>>> give back the prefixes to the AAA server.
>>>
>>> [hannes] With the last sentence you mean that you need to have a way to
>>> indicate that the AAA session is terminated?
>> Frank=>In IPv6 renumbering scenario, it is necessary
>>

>>> If Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) [RFC3971] is used by the devices on
>>> the network, the certificate or the information needed to obtain a
>>> certificate SHOULD also be sent by the AAA server to NAS.
>>>
>>> [hannes] What information do you exactly want to carry towards the AAA
>>> client?
>> Frank=>IPv6 address prefix for NAS is authorized to route
>>
> I mean, you want to provide
> * prefix
> * lifetime
> * certificate
> from the AAA server to the AAA client.
> What else?
Frank=> I can only find these now.

>>> In point-to-point link operation, the NAS MUST identify the interface of
>>> MN in its request. The NAS MAY provide a prefix hint, e.g. of length /48
>>> to which the AAA server MUST reply with one or more prefixes, e.g. of
>>> length /64.
>>>
>>> [hannes] how would such an interface identifier look like?
>> Frank=>Tentatively, it can be the interface identifier part of host's
>> link local
>> address, NAI (RFC4282), or MAC address.
>>
> I would like to better understand what the AAA server should be doing
> based on this hint.
> Is the "hint" used to identify the end user and it's host?
Frank=>The hint is only for expressing client's preference.  The
server may honor this or not based on it's own discretion.

>>> In point-to-point operation, the AAA server MAY assign the prefix(es)
>>> and related parameters such as the lifetime and the certificates to MN
>>> from MN's profile.
>>>
>>> [hannes] I am not sure what this means. You mean that the AAA server
>>> should keep state to make sure that it does not forget what it has
>>> provided to the MN?
>> Frank=>Probably, the AAA server for prefix delegation is different from
>> the AAA server for authentication.  So it is necessary to record the
>> state.
>>
> OK.
>
> I don't think that you need to say that since this is already done today.
>
>>> For some reason the problem is not well described. In Section 3 of
>>> draft-sarikaya-dimeradext-prefix-auth-ps-00.txt you refer to RFC 4818
>>> but I do not quite understand what you would like to see happening
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> AAA-based prefix authorization application SHOULD support prefix release
>>> procedures.
>>>
>>> [hannes] isn't this the same as mentioned in the previous requirement
>>> "AAA-based PA application MUST support the client to give back the
>>> prefixes to the AAA server. "
>> Frank=>It is the same.
>>

>>> The NAS is responsible for renewing the prefixes when the lifetime
>>> expires. The NAS SHOULD be able to extend the lifetime of the prefixes
>>> using messages designed for this purpose.
>>>
>>> [hannes] Why wouldn't we tie the lifetime of the prefix to the lifetime
>>> of the AAA session itself? Makes things much easier. The same applies a
>>> bit to this requirement: "It SHOULD be possible to renumber the prefixes
>>> authorized by AAA server. The AAA server SHOULD initiate prefix
>>> renumbering process. "
>> Frank=>IPv6 renumbering is a feature of IPv6.
>> If we tie the lifetime of prefix to the lifetime of AAA session,
>> it is certain that we can't suport IPv6 renumbering.
>> Even though IPv6 renumbering probably happen probably
>> infrequently, it is better for us to have such a mechnism to support.
>>
>> For IPv6 renumbering, here are some references
>> RFC 1916/2071/2072/2874/2894/4076/4192.
>>
> I know IPv6 renumbering but I was wondering about the following issue.
>
> IPv6 renumber should occur less frequently and hence the lifetime is
> rather long.
> A AAA session typically isn't very long lived and it is possible to
> influence the lifetime with various parameters.
Frank=>IMHO, I don't agree with your assumption on AAA session lifetime.
In fact, many people including me are always online because many operators
don't charge based on time.  For example, $30 a month is for no limited
access.

> Now, isn't it possible to re-authenticate and re-authorize the end host in
> case of network renumbering. Given that you have to re-authenticate quite
> often for other reasons as well shouldn't cause big problems.
Frank=>IMHO, it is not very graceful to kick off all the users
when renumbering.

> I am just trying to figure out how tough the requirements are.
Frank=>IMHO, it is very hard to figure out before widely IPv6 deployment.
However, it is probably too late after large scale deployment.