Re: [dispatch] Request DISPATCH of RUM

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Mon, 04 February 2019 20:05 UTC

To: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 15:05:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Request DISPATCH of RUM

On 2/4/19 2:32 PM, Gunnar Hellström wrote:
> Thanks, I think all your answers are good.
> About the WebRTC issue, some clarification in wording seems to be needed.
>
> About the addressing issue, I also think your response is good.
>
> You started that topic with "To my knowledge, there are no Video
> Interpretation Services that provide interpreters for telephone calls
> that do not use E.164s as the address."
> That is right. My request for support of other addressing forms was
> rather from the observation that an enormous amount of calls nowadays
> are set up with other addressing forms than E.164 numbers. With such
> calls lacking VRS support we are seeing a rapidly decreasing
> accessibility level in the communication area and a need for improvements.

I have been thinking for a long time that it would be good to define a
new interface for VRS provision, that only provides the interpretation
services, not the telephony origination/termination service. Anybody who
wanted to provide audio/video connectivity (regardless of the form of
addressing) could then "bridge" in the VRS service when it is needed.

	Thanks,
	Paul