Re: [dispatch] War of the Worlds (was Re: I-D Action: draft-malas-dispatch-sip-egress-route-00)

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Wed, 24 March 2010 08:13 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Henry Sinnreich <henry.sinnreich@gmail.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:12:30 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>, Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] War of the Worlds (was Re: I-D Action: draft-malas-dispatch-sip-egress-route-00)

Not to argue your general tone, but you do realize that most of those things you list were actually generally profitable and successful in their time, right?  Sure their time may be past, but that doesn't mean they were failures.  I mean I used to be in the IP routing world before coming to voip, and SONET was the predominant long-haul transport which actually connected and formed the "Internet" in the 90's and early 2000's.  I dunno what it is mostly today, but I bet there's still tons of it out there.

And it's not like there weren't plenty of ultimate-failure companies building Ethernet switches or IP routers as well.  Or even HTTP browsers.

-hadriel
p.s. and sadly H.323 ain't dead yet either - for some reason it seems to be alive and kicking in certain regions of the World, and in certain niche market segments.