Re: [dispatch] War of the Worlds (was Re: I-D Action: draft-malas-dispatch-sip-egress-route-00)

Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com> Wed, 17 March 2010 00:05 UTC

From: Daryl Malas <D.Malas@cablelabs.com>
To: "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:04:10 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] War of the Worlds (was Re: I-D Action: draft-malas-dispatch-sip-egress-route-00)

Jon,

The provisioning of the "egress route" information is done by the originating side.  The terminating side provisions their ingress routing information into an ENUM server, and the originating party evalutes the routes and associates egress routes to them.  In this way, they append the information provided by the terminating side (provisioning side).  If the terminating side changes the route (domain's) associated with the TNs, which an egress route was appended, then the egress route information is no longer valid and is removed.  The originating side would have to append a new egress route.  Yes, this may seem inefficient, but there are two industry assumptions: 1) routes do not change very often; 2) the efficiency gained by associating an egress route is greater than the inefficiency in updating egress routes.

This draft does not consider the "business" reasons for doing this, but simply says...since, we know you are already doing this, then we should make the method consistent using (a) well defined mechanism(s) approved by a body of experts.

I do not think this goes against what Otmar was asserting in his Speermint draft.  I believe Otmar was trying to address a bigger picture issue, which was not ignored in Speermint.  On the contrary, we decided early to address the short-term issue of basic telephony peering using SIP, and then move on to the bigger more complex issue.  It just took us longer to get there than we expected.  We are still listening.

Regards,

Daryl