Re: [dispatch] Comments on draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-presence-04

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Mon, 11 March 2013 13:51 UTC

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:51:48 -0400
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Michael Lundberg <michaellundberg.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Comments on draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-presence-04

On 3/9/13 7:29 PM, Michael Lundberg wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for resubmitting the SIP-XMPP presence I-D.  I think this
> and the other documents are important as there are a lot of
> interworking issues today with XMPP and SIP/SIMPLE implementations,
> and I think these documents can help reduce some of those
> interworking challenges.
>
> In order to help ensure interworking between different
> implementations, I think Sections 5.2 and 5.3 need to have some
> stronger ‘MUST’ language instead of SHOULDs, MAYs, etc.  This will
> enforce proper and complete mappings between implementations that
> conform to this document.

Quite possibly. In general I think it might be good to have a
discussion about how strong we want to make the recommendations in
this suite of documents.

> While I don’t think the document needs to enforce the use of the
> <show/> element mapping discussed in 5.2, I think if
> implementations are going to use the mapping, this document should
> enforce the use of a specific namespace and describe the mapping of
> <show> values specified in RFC 6121 (i.e., away, dnd, chat, and
> xa).

One option, as I suggested in the I-D, is to use the 'jabber:client'
namespace, for instance:

<show xmlns='jabber:client'>away</show>

However, I have heard that different presence/IM systems have
different interpretations of the "dnd" (do not disturb) state. So I
think we might need to work that out.

> This will at least allow a minimum set of standard mappings between
> XMPP and SIP, which can be expanded on in future document(s).
> Section 5.3 could then also discuss how this mapping can be
> accomplished from SIP to XMPP if the SIP endpoints/devices support
> this same namespace.  One of the big interworking challenges with
> today’s implementations is the use of different namespaces given
> the extensibility of XML-based presence standards (e.g., PIDF,
> RPID), which allows individuals to create their own namespace.
> This flexibility is good for ingenuity, but problematic for
> interworking between different implementations.  I think
> standardizing a basic set of common status information using a
> specific namespace is needed, and this document is a good place to
> do that.

That seems helpful.

> In my opinion, I do not think Section 6 should be part of this
> base document.  While I like the idea of encapsulating the SIP
> <presence> information into the XMPP message, I think this content
> should be a consideration for implementing ‘rich presence’.  As
> written, this method is only applicable for SIP to XMPP
> translation, and if the focus of this document is just ‘basic’
> presence information interworking, the SIP to XMPP mapping in
> Section 5.3 already describes a method for how this can be
> accomplished.

IMHO it would be fine to remove Section 6, unless someone really wants
it to be in this spec.

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter

- --