Re: [dispatch] New Version of draft-vanelburg-dispatch-private-network-ind

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 09 January 2014 11:06 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Shida Schubert <shida@ntt-at.com>, Mary Barnes <mary.ietf.barnes@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:05:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.38]
Cc: DISPATCH <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] New Version of draft-vanelburg-dispatch-private-network-ind

The text from RFC 2119 states:

5. MAY   This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
   truly optional.  One vendor may choose to include the item because a
   particular marketplace requires it or because the vendor feels that
   it enhances the product while another vendor may omit the same item.
   An implementation which does not include a particular option MUST be
   prepared to interoperate with another implementation which does
   include the option, though perhaps with reduced functionality. In the
   same vein an implementation which does include a particular option
   MUST be prepared to interoperate with another implementation which
   does not include the option (except, of course, for the feature the
   option provides.)

My belief is that we are not defining an option here, and it is certainly not a vendor decision. Further we are not identifying an interoperability issue here.

We are defining a possibility that a valid implementation can take.

If you go to the procedures you will see both these items are covered with "If <condition> MUST" type sentences. There is no specified optionality.

Keith