Re: [DMM] Call for adoption of draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02 as DMM WG document

John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com> Fri, 16 November 2018 15:54 UTC

From: John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com>
To: "d.lake=40surrey.ac.uk@dmarc.ietf.org" <d.lake=40surrey.ac.uk@dmarc.ietf.org>, Sridhar Bhaskaran <sridhar.bhaskaran@huawei.com>, "homma.shunsuke@lab.ntt.co.jp" <homma.shunsuke@lab.ntt.co.jp>, "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>, "david.i.allan@ericsson.com" <david.i.allan@ericsson.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 15:53:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.192.11.94]
Subject: Re: [DMM] Call for adoption of draft-hmm-dmm-5g-uplane-analysis-02 as DMM WG document

David,
I do not see anything at all in TS29.892 about GTP being problematic on N9.

Also, even in 4G - PDN connection QoS was indicated to transport networks (potentially cross domain) by mapping DSCP  in IP/GTP-U to MPLS label.

Slicing may need more details between 5G/transport networks (-- still to be determined in CT4)
There are slice friendly proposals - like TN aware mobility for 5G (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-clt-dmm-tn-aware-mobility/ ) and ACTN (RFC 8453) that allow dynamic negotiation of capabilities and mappings across application/transport domain.
These can work with many transports (MPLS, SRv6, ..) and are independent of the user plane protocol (GTP-U, SRv6, ILA, ..)

Best Regards,
John