Re: [dns-dir] Fwd: Draft requesting reservation of special-use domain names

Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com> Fri, 15 November 2013 16:13 UTC

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:11:54 -0500
To: Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>
Cc: IETF DNS Directorate <dns-dir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-dir] Fwd: Draft requesting reservation of special-use domain names

Brian, welcome to the world of alternate roots, you will never be the same.

My first thought was "Is this a joke ? " but that is too harsh.

Reserving a TLD name for special purpose that has nothing to do with IETF protocols, with no documentation on how to implement this
stuff, and a single implementation is a stretch.

I know this is harsh standard but TLD's live on the boundary of IETF and ICANN, by reserving a 5 TLD's we are depriving ICANN of almost 1M$ in possible revenue.

Fundamental question that needs to be asked is:
Can a Non-DNS namespace look like a DNS namespace and share same tools to great extent?

Personally I think a Non-DNS namespace should start with a prefix and a separator, not end with a postfix,
	i.e. GNU#foo.bar. instead of foo.bar.gnu
       and when people want DNS I see no harm in having DNS#foo.bar.
with a prefix we can teach tools once for all to detect non-DNS namespaces, and do the right thing (over time)

As in the case of they .gnu et.al postfixes these queries will leak into the DNS system thus we need to ask:
	 Do we need AS112 servers to dampen the impact?
         Does leaking the queries to DNS constitute a security risk for the participants?

Strictly speaking as none of the protocols are IETF ones, granting these registrations will set a horrible precedent
and we will have to deal with lots more of these as possible ICANN tld application end-run.

IETF has limited experience with alternate namespaces and it is a minefield of easy mistakes
Not a review, just high level questions and issues to be aware off.

Intarea wg IMHO is a bad home for this, as I do not think any DNS people are there.

Patrik and possibly others are at the ICANN meeting in Argentina next week and they can offer more input on how
the impact of something like this there.

	Olafur