Re: [dns-dir] Draft requesting reservation of special-use domain names

Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se> Fri, 15 November 2013 16:35 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:34:05 -0300
To: Ólafur Guðmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Cc: IETF DNS Directorate <dns-dir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dns-dir] Draft requesting reservation of special-use domain names

Let me support Ólafur and add some spices to this:

IETF do have a few RFCs talking about reserved names. Some of the actual strings mentioned are (unfortunately) "only" in appendices and not really in normative parts of RFCs. That have created first of all a gray zone of what status certain strings have.

Secondly, I do not find it being clear what process or rather, evaluation criteria, IETF will use to accept (or not) requests like these. Can it just be ad-hoc?

I do not think that would be very smart, given the discussions about reserved names IGOs request at ICANN. IETF should be lucky they have not discovered IETF have(?) the ability to reserve names.

So, IETF must, quickly(!!!!), understand what criteria are to be used to reserve names.

See Section 2 in SAC-062 <http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-062-en.pdf>:

> Recommendation 1: ICANN should work with the wider Internet community, including at least the IAB and the IETF, to identify (1) what strings are appropriate to reserve for private namespace use and (2) what type of private namespace use is appropriate (i.e., at the TLD level only or at any additional lower level).

That is I-D arrived now is...hmm...(un)fortunate...

   Patrik