Re: [DNSOP] [Ext] Re: New draft for helping browsers use the DoH server associated with a resolver

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org> Fri, 24 August 2018 14:56 UTC

From: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@icann.org>
To: Philip Homburg <pch-dnsop-3@u-1.phicoh.com>
CC: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:56:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [Ext] Re: New draft for helping browsers use the DoH server associated with a resolver

On Aug 24, 2018, at 7:45 AM, Philip Homburg <pch-dnsop-3@u-1.phicoh.com> wrote:

>>> Well, if the OS resolver is validating, it will SERVFAIL with such a
>>> query.
>>
>> The protocol requires special handling of those specific queries,
>> so a resolver that understands the protocol will give the desired
>> answer. A resolver that doesn't understand the answer will give
>> NXDOMAIN even if it is validating because that RRtype is not in
>> the root zone.
>
> It seems to go wrong when you have one validating resolver that forwards to a
> resolver that supports this mechanism.

Agree. This might mean that using an unsigned 6761 special use domain name would be better.

> It don't really see the point of what you propose. For resolvers obtained by
> DHCP it makes more sense to include the URL in the DHCP reply than to have
> yet another DNSSEC-violating discovery hack.

Two reasons here (although they might not be convincing):

- This proposal works for browsers even if the OS doesn't understand a new DHCP extension for DoH server URI templates

- It relives the DHCP server admin from needing to know which DoH servers are associated with a particular Do53 server.

As I hope I made clear in the proposal, it will work even if there is a new DHCP extension for the OS. It just doesn't rely on it.

> For manually configured resolvers, it is likely more convenient for the user
> to just enter the URL and let the system figure out the addresses of the
> resolvers.

Again, it is not clear how that information would get to the browsers. They have a hard enough time getting good answers to "what is the address being used for the resolver".

> Figuring out what SNI to use using insecure DNS sort of negates any advantage
> TLS authentication offers.

I don't understand this at all. The SNI is the host in the URI template.

--Paul Hoffman