Re: [DNSOP] draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-01

"Adrien de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com> Sun, 03 April 2016 02:51 UTC

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
To: Robert Edmonds <edmonds@mycre.ws>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 02:51:40 +0000
Cc: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-01

that's correct.  It looks in that document like a quote from the IAB,
but if you're saying it's not, I then would have to challenge the
logical conclusion asserted in that second paragraph.

I don't see why it necessarily follows that having a single tree with a
single root creates a requirement for support for multiple resolution
protocols.

The thousands of authors of other protocols and systems don't seem to
have had too much trouble so far just using DNS where required, and
putting resolution into their own protocols outside the tree.  Why break
the whole tree for some nebulous result which surely in all cases can be
worked around with a smaller consequence than having to deploy new DNS
to the entire world.

Even a DSL/NAT box does DNS forwarding, do we expect all those cheap
router box vendors to patch out the firmware for this any time soon?

Adrien