Re: [DNSOP] additional special names Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-00.txt

Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch> Mon, 03 March 2014 09:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:25:35 +0100
From: Norbert Bollow <nb@bollow.ch>
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Cc: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>, "dnsop@ietf.org WG" <dnsop@ietf.org>, Joe Abley <jabley@hopcount.ca>, David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] additional special names Fwd: I-D Action: draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-00.txt

Warren makes a strong argument in favor of .alt I think.

Another related aspect is that if something like onion.notreallydns.org
is used, with notreallydns.org registered for the specific purpose of
providing a home for one or more non-resolving dns-like names, it
is very non-trivial to guarantee that whoever has registered the
notreallydns.org name will continue paying the yearly fees forever. If
the registration lapses, an attacker could become the new holder of the
notreallydns.org domain and use it to snoop and/or serve malware...

Greetings,
Norbert