Re: [DNSOP] dns interface to whois? (Re: Taking Back the DNS )

David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org> Sun, 21 November 2010 21:38 UTC

From: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:39:04 -1000
To: "John L. Crain" <john.crain@icann.org>
Cc: Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org>, "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] dns interface to whois? (Re: Taking Back the DNS )

An interesting idea -- just thinking out loud...

On Nov 21, 2010, at 7:51 AM, John L. Crain wrote:
>> how would the registry system implement something like this?  could we
>> define another SRV-like schema like:

If we were go to this route, I'd think defining RRs for each tag would be the way to go instead of using TXT.

> Why would we do this, who gains by adding this?

If it allows us to finally kill off whois, everyone in the universe (:-)). For example, as part of the RR definition process, the encoding of the value part of the tag/value pair could be explicitly defined.

> As a registrant, registrar or registry I have access to that data.

True, if you can figure out which whois server to query, that whois server is actually up, and the data is actually fetchable from the whois server.  The advantage of binding the registration information into the DNS along with the name being registered is the removal of a notoriously broken part of the name registration system and simplification of deriving from where you actually get the registration data.

> As a
> person (or client) resolving a name at a specific point in time I don't
> see how this data would be relevant.

What do people use registration data for now?

Oh, and if the data is DNSSEC-signed, you could actually verify it hadn't been altered by a MITM attack (if that actually occurs).

Regards,
-drc