Re: [DNSOP] RFC 6761 discussion (“special names”)

Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org> Wed, 18 March 2015 15:46 UTC

From: Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org>
To: dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:46:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.47.235]
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] RFC 6761 discussion (“special names”)

On 3/18/15, 10:29, "Jaap Akkerhuis" <jaap@NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:

>The pointer from Suzanne to the liaison statement shows that
>apparently this as been attended to in the past.

Executive summary of my message below.  Count me as utterly confused
regarding the topic and agreeing that a deeper, focused discussion is
warranted.

The longer version:

Along the lines of agreeing with Jaap, I'm not sure I really understand
the Special-Use Domain Names registry as much as I thought anymore.

The liaison statement is something I hadn't seen before, IMHO, if just
because liaison statements aren't as accessible, searchable or well known
as RFC's.  More or less, this is a "communications" problem - publicizing
results.

Nevertheless, reading the liaison statement I came across this and
wondered if more specific material is available:

"Discussion of these requests under the process established in RFC 6761
has revealed difficulties in applying its guidelines in practice."

I'm inclined to see that RFC 6761 can be improved, but wonder what
"difficulties" were the basis of the statement's conclusion.  More detail
here would be helpful, especially is someone has already taken the time to
do the work.

Beyond the liaison statement, and back to the mission of the Special-Use
Domain Names registry, I've had in mind that there is a separation between
dotted strings that look like domain names and domain names themselves and
this separation's inconsistent treatment is where we run into questions
like whether something like .onion is a TLD or not or is deserving of
being treated as a TLD.  (I've used the term transliterated-DNS names in
probably an inappropriate way to distinguish between how the DNS writes
domain names into its master [zone] files and how the DNS protocol
transmits names in UDP.  Personally I've attached significance to dotted
strings that are also seen on the wire as opposed to names that never get
converted when it comes to whether a name is a domain name or just a
dotted string. Yes, I am in the weeds on this one.)

>From what I've read, one interpretation of a name in the Special-Use
Domain Names registry is that it shouldn't de delegated in the root
zone.[0]  Another interpretation is that DNS "surface software" (my
unqualified term for the API's and stubs) return all requests for such a
name as NXDOMAIN without consulting DNS servers[1].  Yet another
interpretation is that applications ought to consult the registry and if
the name is there, do not even think to ask the DNS "surface software"
about it.[2]  Given these interpretations from what I've read, I move my
marker to "a little confused" by the registry.

Perhaps "defense in depth" principles says all of the interpretations
ought to be applied.

So, in a way, I see the liaison statement asking the DNSOP WG to define
the criteria for treating a name (thinking mostly of dotted strings) as
qualifying for a technical reservation (perhaps via the Special-Use Domain
Names registry) and possibly defining what such a reservation means to
implementations.

[0] Raising the issue of the how a protocol like WhoIs or RDAP would
report the name.
[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg13777.html
And I don't think that gethostbyname() returned the RCODE, but its been
many years since I looked.  I appreciate that the message is using some
shorthand, but this just adds to confusion.  I.e., I read the first line
as asking that the name be prevented form being in the root because it
would be in the Special-Use Domain Name registry.
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg13765.html

PS - Even just reading RFC 6761 I get a bit confused.

There's "if declaring a given name to be special would result in no change
to any implementations, then that suggests that the name may not be
special in any material way, and it may be more appropriate to use the
existing DNS mechanisms" which though it's "negative" grammar leaves me
wondering if it means that the Special-Use Domain Names are to be treated
differently in applications outside of DNS.  But later there is this
quote, "it has to be defined to return NXDOMAIN" which to me implies the
DNS "surface software" or even it's server software has to be modified.