Re: [DNSOP] followup and proposed actions: RFC 6761 interim and next steps

Francisco Obispo <fobispo@uniregistry.com> Tue, 26 May 2015 21:19 UTC

From: Francisco Obispo <fobispo@uniregistry.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:19:33 -0700
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] followup and proposed actions: RFC 6761 interim and next steps

> On May 26, 2015, at 1:07 PM, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the delegation of HOME/CORP/MAIL provides with more benefit than risks, there
>> will be more companies/homes and mail users happy because their names resolve from
>> everywhere, they can validate with DNSSEC, they can opt who can connect to their
>> networks and no longer require domain hacks to get their users to go to the right
>> places.
>
> There are probably tens of thousands of people who have a device with
> the local name PRINTER.HOME.  I must be dim, because I cannnot imagine
> any way that any possible set of DNS records in the root or a TLD
> would allow that name to "resolve from everywhere" in a way other than
> perhaps one that sent an enormous amount of people's printouts to one
> printer somewhere.
>
> Could you clarify how it's supposed to work?

I would certainly like to have: obispo.home, be a real FQDN, so I can name my home devices, printer.obispo.home, etc.

If I go to a hotel around the world and I need to print in my printer at home, I should be able to do it, I shouldn’t be “hacking” my way around that. In a v6 world, this is going to be common practice, the fact that we have limitations on how we use our home networks today does not mean that those same restrictions will exist in the future.

Perhaps the approach is (if identified as a problem), to have printer.home be on a controlled interruption list for a while, so people can identify and fix their setups.  I don’t know, but the approach where we ban the whole TLD from ever existing because of few that misconfigured their naming, doesn’t seem reasonable to me. (few compared to the rest of the world who will be connected in the future).

Should we also add a .BELKIN TLD?, there are tons of devices that use it (to name a few), what if in 10 years someone decides to create .FOOBARBAZ are we going to add it to the list later?,

We need a better view/picture of the whole DNS ecosystem, we should not be making assertions based on a 24 hour sample of 1 day of root server traffic, let put more effort into strategy for the long term and not be so tactical about these specific use cases.

Regards,

Francisco Obispo
CTO - Registry Operations

 <http://www.uniregistry.com/>