Re: [Doh] DNS over HTTP/3?

"Ralf Weber" <dns@fl1ger.de> Mon, 19 November 2018 11:01 UTC

From: Ralf Weber <dns@fl1ger.de>
To: bert hubert <bert.hubert@powerdns.com>
Cc: doh@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:01:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [Doh] DNS over HTTP/3?

Moin!

On 19 Nov 2018, at 11:09, bert hubert wrote:
> I've observed that the thousands of users of doh.powerdns.org (I also
> do not
> know how this happened) take around 22 packets per DNS query/response.
Wow. Good for manufactures of 10GB ethernet cards ;-).

> Larger scale adoption of TLSv1.3 might improve this somewhat, but it
> is a
> big number.
>
> I've also personally observed that a "slightly suboptimal" network
> absolutely kills browsing performance in Firefox Nightly using DoH.  A
> naive
> calculation shows that 0.5% packet loss turns into a 5% failure rate
> per DoH
> query, which then can cause Head of Line blocking for further queries,
> which
> cascades into "blank pages" getting rendered.
Hmm doh.powerdns.org resolves to one IP address while
mozilla.cloudflare-dns.com resolves to two IP addresses. Not sure if
that would make a difference as I don’t know what the Mozilla stub
does. I also didn’t find anything in the RFC wrt to the
failure/failover behaviour other than DoH follows standard HTTP
mechanisms, but I have no idea what that means for unresponsive servers,
and more important when a server is declared unresponsive.

[…]
> And, perhaps somewhat more provocatively, should we maybe not start
> pushing
> DoH/2 if it leaves people with a sub-standard experience, causing them
> disable DoH?  DoH/3 might be somewhat of a wait but it might prevent
> that
> sour taste from developing.
Maybe there is a need for dohop (DNS over HTTP Operations) working
group. I think there are still a lot of unknowns in the operations of
DoH clients and servers, but the same is true for regular DNS and I’ve
been working on that for decades now. Maybe a draft or some measurements
would also help to get a discussion started.

So long
-Ralf
—--
Ralf Weber