Re: [earlywarning] What problem is ATOCA trying to address?

"SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW)" <DS2225@att.com> Fri, 26 March 2010 22:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:05:00 -0700
From: "SENNETT, DEWAYNE A (ATTCINW)" <DS2225@att.com>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, David R Oran <oran@cisco.com>
Cc: earlywarning@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [earlywarning] What problem is ATOCA trying to address?

This math does not factor into account the characteristics of the
cellular air interface.  This is a shared interface and there are no
radio resources associated with the cellular device except when the
device is in active communications (e.g., subscriber is on voice call).
Any given cell site has many more associated cellular devices than there
are radio resources to support.

Consequently, a queuing model is required and would have to factor in at
least the following:

- How many cellular devices are registered on the cell site?

- How many cellular devices will enter or leave the coverage area of the
cell site during the time of the alert?

- What is the current utilization of air interface resources and how
many resources are available?

- What other communications from other sources including subscriber
initiated communications will also be occurring at the same time?

- Since cellular devices have to be paged before communications can be
established, how many pages attempts will be required and how much time
is required for the paging function?

- How often is the alert message retried because of non-delivery due to
no available radio resources and what is the time interval between the
retry attempts?

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE:

The Minneapolis I-35W bridge collapse during evening rush hour on August
1st, 2007 is a good real life example of localized network congestion
for a localized environment.  The evening rush hour is one of the most
common highest network utilization times and this evening in Minneapolis
was no exception.  Immediately after the unfortunate bridge collapse all
of the cell sites for all wireless operators with coverage for the area
surrounding the bridge became congested and stayed congestion for a long
period of time.

Network congestion conditions can occur on non-emergency events whenever
large groups of subscribers are concentrated in a small area -- e.g.,
New Years Eve at Times Square, weekend football game at your favorite
large university.

DeWayne