Re: [edu-team] IETF 99 Tutorial Survey Results

Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com> Wed, 23 August 2017 20:28 UTC

From: Alexa Morris <amorris@amsl.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 13:30:30 -0700
Cc: EDU Team <edu-team@ietf.org>
To: Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [edu-team] IETF 99 Tutorial Survey Results

Removing the other tutorial presenters because this is probably not all that interesting to them.

As a general point, I don’t think that because someone points out a need for more information on a topic, we should assume that the need must be entirely fulfilled by the Newcomers Orientation. I think it’s completely acceptable — and in many cases preferable — to use the Newcomers Orientation to refer people to information available elsewhere, say at ietf.org.  But then we need to make sure that we have the relevant information online at ietf.org. More inline:

> On Aug 23, 2017, at 10:22 AM, Michael StJohns <mstjohns@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On 8/22/2017 4:27 PM, Alexa Morris wrote:
>> Edu Team and IETF 99 Tutorial Presenters,
>>
>> Below please find links to the complete results from the IETF 99 tutorial surveys. Some respondents took the time to provide comments on how the tutorial might be improved and I’ve included those comments here so that we make sure to review them.
>>
>> 1. Newcomers Orientation
>> -   16 respondents
>> -    Online results: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-TGBYL9T6/
>> -    Ideas for improvements:
>> 	*  Should also give a brief overview of the various subjects that IETF are currently covering.
> I'm not sure how to do a brief overview of 120+ working groups. Probably not.   Maybe a better idea is to do another session with one AD from each area doing a 5 minute 2 slide brief - the IETF Newsreel of current topics.  It doesn't actually have to be an AD, but should be someone familiar with the area.  Get each AD to do a slide covering their owned WGs and topics.

We’ve talked — many times — about having brief online introduction videos for various technical topics and/or working groups. If we had something like that for each working group, you could make a simple statement pointing people to videos available in the Datracker, or some such. Online videos will reach more people than any in-person tutorial is likely to, and can be viewed anytime.

We would need to develop a template for the video format, and strictly limit the time as well. If people like this idea I have some notions on how to do this and can pursue it further.

>> 	* Though IETF is not a "hierarchical" organization a diagram over the organization with areas, area-directors, working groups, wg-chairs, etc would be usefull to illustrate the width of the organization. Maybe also hand out some leaflet detailing the areas and briefly the working groups to give an overview of the tremendous amount of work that is being done in a wide variety of fields.
> See my other email.

Scott has a fairly lengthly section of his online Newcomers Orientation that explains the incredibly complex structure of the IETF. While it’s true that it’s not immediately relevant to those attending their first meeting, it’s also true that some people like to understand the “big picture.” You don’t need to provide the big picture yourself, but what’s the harm in updating your final bullet to be something like:

“ Lots more details – not immediately important to your meeting attendance BUT for the insatiably curious you can view Section 5: Structure of the online IETF Newcomers Presentation on the IETF YouTube Channel (which also has lots of other interesting videos).

IETF YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ietf”

-Alexa