Re: [Efficientnd-dt] 6man IETF 92 Call for agenda items

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Thu, 19 February 2015 22:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 14:15:44 -0800
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch@cisco.com>, Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
Cc: 6man Chairs <6man-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>, "efficientnd-dt@ietf.org" <efficientnd-dt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Efficientnd-dt] 6man IETF 92 Call for agenda items

On 2/19/15 1:23 AM, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Erik Nordmark wrote:
>

>> As part of the efficient-nd report in HNL we mentioned two drafts but
>> they were not discussed at any depth:
>> draft-yourtchenko-6man-dad-issues and draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh
>>
>> I think it would make sense for Andrew to present the first one (he
>> is cc'ed); including that request here to reserve some time on the
>> agenda while we determine whether this is needed.
>> The purpose of such a presentation would be to get an answer to what
>> the WG wants to do about DAD. (See my reminder to the list today.)
>
> I thought we had already presented it in a single-slide form during
> the design team update on the previous IETF ? (And the feedback I
> remember at least from Lorenzo was 'yeah it is not reliable and we
> don't want it reliable because evil operators').

I don't think Lorenzo said we can't make DAD more reliable - if so he
would object to the ACD RFC for ARP as well. He has expressed concern
about mandatory explicit registrations - that they could be used for
evil purposes by evil operators.

 From the emails on the list it sounds like the WG could benefit from
some more detail on what is in the DAD issues draft; unless the WG wants
to let Lorenzo make all the decisions ;-)

> IIRC there were no updates since then, but I can push a no-op refresh
> and present it remotely if needed (won't make it to Dallas for
> personal reasons).

Let's talk offline - might make sense to add more information to the
draft about available solutions etc.

    Erik