[Eligibility-discuss] Questions about I* bodies removing their own membership

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 29 October 2019 18:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:41:06 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: eligibility-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: [Eligibility-discuss] Questions about I* bodies removing their own membership

Hi.  I've been thinking about the idea of the I* bodies being
able to remove one of their own members and how to combine that
with adequate safeguards.  Let me make a specific suggestion to
see if it gets enough traction for me to draft some text that
could be dropped into the "equity" I-D.

Suppose we followed the example already set by the ombudsteam
and allowed those bodies, perhaps even by a simply majority
vote, to initiate a recall process, bypassing the petition
process.  The rest of the recall process would run normally
(modulo any changes we might make in the future).

Would that be sufficient and mitigate at least most of the
concerns?

I'm a little fascinated by the possibility of applying Mike's
suggestion to this, requiring each I* member voting "yes" to
initiate the recall process to put down a significant deposit
that would be refunded if the recall committee did not agree
that the person should be removed.  Or, perhaps even more
effectively, requiring each I* member who was going to vote
"yes" to sign a letter of resignation, creating a vacancy
immediately and taking effect as soon as a replacement could be
seated if the recall committee did not remove the person in
question.   "You want to fire an I* member, you put your
position on the line if the recall committee disagrees" has a
certain charm.  But I'm not yet persuaded that either would be a
good idea.

best,
   john