Re: [eman] EMAN-REQ: the notion of importance

Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com> Mon, 27 February 2012 17:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:44:42 -0500
From: Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com>
To: Brad Schoening <brads@coraid.com>, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [eman] EMAN-REQ: the notion of importance

Hi,

Brad - good precedent - because it makes the "importance"
machine readable (and therefore useful).

But since EMAN (and many other IETF WGs) have consistently
backed away from any standard definition of "role" (w/ behavior
semantics that are predictable), a text string of "role" is useless
(except in a vendor- or site-specific manner - out-of-scope IMHO).

And I suggest that the "universe of things" is too diverse to lend
itself to an IANA registry of standard "role" keywords.

Cheers,
- Ira

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic@gmail.com