Re: [eman] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nordman-eman-er-framework-01.txt

Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu> Sun, 21 July 2013 21:40 UTC

From: Juergen Quittek <Quittek@neclab.eu>
To: Bruce Nordman <bnordman@lbl.gov>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:38:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.7.0.200]
Subject: Re: [eman] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nordman-eman-er-framework-01.txt

Hi Bruce,

I have reviewed the draft version -01.

Indeed this framework is using a "keep it simple" approach.
It needs less concepts and much less text than our current
WG draft. The introduction of concepts in sections 2 and 3
is amazingly easy to read (considering the lengthy and complex
discussions we had on the "right" concepts).

Even with a reduced number of concepts it is still complete.
And it still meets (at least almost) all requirements as stated
in our requirements draft (which has good chances to become
RFC before IETF#87). How requirements are met is described
for each requirement.

Section 3
This section give a good overview of power distribution and
reporting topologies. It lacks a discussion of the metering
topology. You list this as open issue #3 in section 8 and I think
it is the most important of the open issues.

Sections 4+5: purpose of the sections
These sections serves two purposes at the same time.
One is listing which requirements are met and how they are met.
The other one is elaborating the framework and adding small
features where needed to meet the requirements. This is not a
straight forward approach, but the results seems to be compact
and efficient.

Sections 4+5: requirements and options
There is a lack of clarity about requirements, recommendations
and options in these two sections. It is often not clear which features
are MANADATORY, RECOMMENDED, or OPTIONAL, or something else,
see the following examples:
   Section 4.1: "a widely useful feature is ..."
   Section 4.2: "the first item needed is ..."
   Section 4.2: "will typically be of the form ..."
   Section 4.3: "Each device provides a list of ..."
   Section 4.4: "They can be represented  by ..."
... and so on.
It would be helpful to state more clearly what the framework sees
as MUST, SHOULD or MAY, respectively. The introductions of
section 4 says the "basic" features are "required". If they are
required it would be useful to clearly identify what is basic. It looks
like even basic features have options. This does not mean that I
disagree with the proposed features, but I would like to better
understand which are essential and which not.

Sections 4+5: data formats
In section 4.2 you suggest using a string of the form "name=value".
In section 5.1 you suggest using "type:value".
I am not sure these two fit well together.

Detailed comments:
Section 4.2, line 4: "will typically" -> "can be"
Section 5.1, line 3: ", with each having" -> ". They can have"
Section 8.2, line 1: "Framework draft" -> "Framework and Battery MIB drafts"

Cheers,
    Juergen

Looking at the open issues listed in section 8, there is one
That I think is most essential: