Re: [Emu] review of draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req-04

"Hoeper Katrin-QWKN37" <khoeper@motorola.com> Wed, 03 March 2010 15:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:00:00 -0500
From: Hoeper Katrin-QWKN37 <khoeper@motorola.com>
To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Cc: emu@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] review of draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req-04

Hi Dan,

It is not secure, even *with* cryptographic bindings.

The very least a MitM attacker can do is get the identities of both
parties exchanged inside the tunnel -> i.e. breaking the privacy of both
parties and thus rendering the anonymous tunnel useless. This is
*always* possible!

If the inner method derives no keys or has a weak key establishment,
then the MitM can break the entire session, deriving all keys and
staying undetected while listening to the rest of the session.

Considering the attack, I don't see what mutually anonymous tunnels can
achieve what a server-authenticated tunnels couldn't.
I guess you need to convince me of the value of mutually anonymous
tunnels in which an MitM can get all exchanged identifiers in order to
change my mind :)

The attack is described in the reference I provided in my last email.
NIST SP 800-120 does no permit mutually anonymous tunnels for exactly
that reason.

And our requirements draft shouldn't either.

Katrin

PS: If you want to talk about using certified pseudonyms, that is a
different story.

-
Details of the attack (for a complete discussion, please read the paper)

The MitM attacker establishes a tunnel with the peer and another one
with the server using a mutually anonymous tunnel protocol.
The peer authentication and server authentication now takes place inside
the two tunnel segments. The MitM needs to decrypt and re-encrypt all
messages in order to forward a message from one tunnel into the other
tunnel. Server and peer would not notice.
The MitM does *not* impersonate any party but has full access to all
information inside the tunnel, including the exchanged identifiers.

Let's say crypto bindings are used. Only if the derived inner key IK
cannot be derived by the MitM, i.e. the key derivation algorithm is
cryptographically strong, the attack will be detected. However, by then
the MitM is already in possession of the identifiers that have been
"anonymously" exchanged inside the tunnel. Besides, many inner methods
only have weak inner key derivations (that's why they are tunneled) or
do not derive a key at all. In these cases, the attacker is able to
derive the cryptographic bindings for both tunnel segments and keep
fooling peer and server.

establishment.
> > These types of tunnels are prone to man-in-the-middle attacks in
which
> > the privacy of both tunnel endpoints is compromised. I don't see any
> > value of those anonymous tunnels. In fact they are not secure.
> >
> > I strongly oppose to allowing these tunnels and believe that the
current
> > text about this topic should be kept as is.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Katrin
> >
> > PS: Details on the mentioned MitM attacks are in
> > http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1577285

Of
> >> Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)
> >> Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 11:53 PM
> >> To: Dan Harkins; emu@ietf.org
> >> Subject: Re: [Emu] review of draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req-04
> >>
> >> Thanks Dan,
> >>
> >> I haven't seen any responses on the list yet so I provided some
inline
> >> below.

authenticator

> >> [Joe] OK

> >> requirement.
> >> >
> >> [Joe] While, it is true that carrying NEA protocols should be met
by
> >> either the extensibility or carrying EAP method requirements,  I
> > believe
> >> that NEA use case is pertinent to the tunnel method work and should
be
> >> mentioned somewhere in the document.  What is the harm in
mentioning
> > it
> >> here?

> > authenticate

> >> [Joe] OK

> > zero
> >> >
> >> [Joe] Removed

> > authentication

> > do.
> >> >
> >> [Joe] Alan had a similar comment that this text is confusing. The
> >> suggest text is:
> >> " Another use for extensibility is support for alternate
> > authentication
> >> frameworks within the tunnel."

> >> describing

> > paraphrase),
> > so
> >> another
> > point
> >> is
> > necessary
> >> leads
> >> might

> > decision-
> > "hey
> >> two

> >> [Joe]  Needs more discussion.

> > of

> >> [Joe]  I think the comment is still relevant, suggested text:
> >> " TLS provides protected cipher suite negotiation as long as all
the
> >> cipher suites supported provide strong authentication, key
> > establishment
> >> and data integrity protection."

> >> unidirectional

MUST