[Entmib] Re: Entity mib support for tcif

Kaj Tesink <kaj@research.telcordia.com> Fri, 02 April 2004 21:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 11:37:53 -0500
To: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortelnetworks.com>, entmib@ietf.org
From: Kaj Tesink <kaj@research.telcordia.com>
Subject: [Entmib] Re: Entity mib support for tcif
Sender: entmib-admin@ietf.org

hi Sharon,

At 12:56 PM 4/1/2004 -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:

hi

Where are we in this discussion? Have we decided whether the working group
wants to take this on?

i think that question is still pending;
we asked for input and expressions of interest well before the
last ietf meeting but there has not been much traffic on this
since that request. so let me repeat the request for input on this spec:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tesink-entity-supplmib-00.txt" rel="nofollow">http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tesink-entity-supplmib-00.txt

This is a requirement I've heard bounced around a few times so I think this
is worth trying to address, but like Dan I have a few concerns with some
aspects of the proposed solution. As he has mentioned, the title is not
sufficiently descriptive. In addition, I think the data types might be too
opaque to be useful.

as per my comments based on Dan's note, there were
some good reasons for the high level title, but
i'd be open to other suggestions.

as for the opaque object, the history is that
the initial proposal based on an octet string
syntax invoked a discussion about flexibility
and some other aspects, and resulted in a proposal
by Dave for the current opaque construct, although
some other comments expressed reservations (i believe
by Juergen and Dan).
i'm willing to go with whatever the rough consensus
dictates.

kaj

Sharon