RE: [Enum] (Non)-Progress of certain Enumservices

"Stafford, Matthew" <matthew.stafford@cingular.com> Thu, 28 April 2005 17:32 UTC

From: "Stafford, Matthew" <matthew.stafford@cingular.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:32:29 -0400
To: "enum at ietf.org"
Subject: RE: [Enum] (Non)-Progress of certain Enumservices

I have comments regarding the following statements from the message chain below:
>I'm also concerned about using a mailto: URI with MMS; the
>two are related, but not interoperable.

In my experience of the IETF specs, I've seen two ways to dereference a service to a protocol: with ENUMservice type & subtype (as in mms:mailto), or by mapping one URI scheme into another via SRV resource records (as is done, e.g., in RFC 3861 for im: and pres: URIs). I'll call these the ENUM method and the SRV method.

So, the alternative to dereferencing at the ENUM layer would seem to be define a new URI scheme and a means of mapping *that* to a mailto: URI. In fact, an attempt *was* made to define an mms: URI scheme (draft-wugofski-uri-scheme-00.txt). I understand there was lots of criticism; at any rate, that draft did not pass muster. Now, I'll admit that there were some problems with that draft- I don't think it associated mms: URI with SMTP.

That said, would it really be better to go via the SRV route? It seems like it would be more trouble- you'd have to define an _mms or similar tag. SRV records would have to be provisioned in DNS. And you'd still end up dereferencing to SMTP in the end.

>3GPP TS 23.140 includes (see figure 3, section 6, section 8.5) an
>interface MM3 over which SMTP mails can be exchanged between the MMS
>Relay/Proxy and non-MMS mail systems (e.g. the Internet and SMTP
>servers).

Would it help if the service identifier was something that was clearly particular to the MM4 interface, such as "E2U+mm4:mailto" or similar? That would explicitly say that the interface in question is *not* carrying plain e-mail, but only bona fide multimedia messages.

What I would say about the MMS Stage 2 document (3GPP TS 23.140) is this: it's out of date. Specifically, appendix G is out of date. It was written before RFC 3761 obsoleted the previous ENUM RFC, and apparently was written under the assumption the mms: URI scheme would be approved in IETF.

In the options listed above, am I missing something? For example, is there a simple way to define an mms: or mm4: URI scheme and explicitly associate it with SMTP? My expertise is too limited to know the answer. But my fear hear (and the reason I'm speaking up) is further delay.

While I don't speak for 3GPP, I think it's clear that the MMS Stage 2 document cannot be brought up to date until the MMS ENUMService (or MM4 ENUMservice, if you prefer) has a stable definition.

Best,
Matt Stafford
Cingular Wireless