Re: [Enum] (Non)-Progress of certain Enumservices

Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com> Sat, 23 April 2005 00:18 UTC

From: Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:18:49 -0400
To: Stastny Richard <"Richard.Stastny at oefeg.at">
Subject: Re: [Enum] (Non)-Progress of certain Enumservices

Inline

> Dear all,

> after Lawrence Conroy's recent post regarding the progress of the VOVI =
> draft,
> I want to add the question about the (non)-progress of the other I-D's
> related to Enumservices urgently required:

> ENUM is already implemented as commercial service in some countries
> and others will follow until the end of this year.

> The Enumservices used within these implementations are defined in
> ETSI TS 102 172, but not even half of these Enumservices are decribed i
> n RFCs yet (sip, h323, pres, web and ft).

> Important Enumservices used and required are still only in draft status
> (msg, fax, ifax, sms, mms, void,...).
> sms and mms are also very important for the upcoming implementations
> by 3GPP.

> In detail:

> The msg draft:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-msg-04.txt
> Last activity 2005-02-16 by Harald:
> Version -04 satisfies my concerns about references for mailed *MS
> messages,> and has also addressed the reviewer's significant commment.

There is also still Ted's Discuss comment unaddressed, as you
and I discussed in our verbal conversation in Minneapolis.  This
is not only only fax: and tel: but also about a resolution on
the uri usage related to mms and smtp interworking.  Please review
the comment again, and perhaps the time has come to have a teleconference
of Ted, you authors, the Chairs (if they want to get involved now, as
not before), and me.

> The void draft:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-void-00.txt
> Last activity WGLC 2005-02-03 (ended 2005-02-21)
> Current Status still I-D Exists AND SHEPHERDING AD NOT ASSIGNED YET

The I-D Exists or AD is Watching state (which is the only other state
I could give it while in pre-WGLC or WGLC) are pretty similar.
I eagerly await your the Chairs asking for the IETF Last Call.  I
believe that no such mail has come to iesg-secretary and myself (or
just iesg-secretary).  If it had, the draft would be logged in
properly to me and would have Publication Requested and we would go
ahead with it.

> Just for completeness:
> The ifax draft:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-faxservice-enum-03.txt=
>
> In RFC Ed Queue since 2004-07-12 ?!?

Bad situation, stuck on a normative reference.  Had you called
my attention to this, I would have tried to negotiate removal of
the normative reference earlier.  I hate to sound like a bureaucrat,
but I don't have a natural reason to look at the fax WG's document in
the queue :(

Question:  (which I asked you in Minneapolis):  what are
your publication reference deadlines for these enumservice references?

> I therefore request a clear position from the IESG whether
> A. the IESG is still supportive of progess of ENUM

Very much so.  Absolutely.

> B. the IESG is not intersted in ENUM anymore

Not the case.

> C. the IESG is objecting further progress in ENUM

No, of course not.

> In case A. I would like to see some progress soon.

Yes, I support that too.

> In case of  B. or C. the IESG should say so, saving me. my company
> and others unnecessary waste of manpower and travelling expenses
> in the future. In this case I would propose to shift further work to
> ETSI and continue the work in ETSI TS 102 172.

The conditions of RFC 3761 require the enumservices to be developed
as IETF RFC's.

RFC publication (time spent in the RFC Editor queue) is not in IESG control,
short of asking for expedited dates when there is another publication
requiring the reference.  Please let me know if specific ETSI or 3GPP
reference deadlines for these documents require us requesting expedited
publication of the approved documents.

Supporting consensus enumservices through the IETF is very much an IESG
desire and goal.  It's what we chartered the WG to do.

Allison