[Enum] (Non)-Progress of certain Enumservices

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Fri, 22 April 2005 22:07 UTC

From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:07:21 -0400
To: "iesg at ietf.org"
Subject: [Enum] (Non)-Progress of certain Enumservices

Dear all,

after Lawrence Conroy's recent post regarding the progress of the VOVI draft,
I want to add the question about the (non)-progress of the other I-D's
related to Enumservices urgently required:

ENUM is already implemented as commercial service in some countries
and others will follow until the end of this year.

The Enumservices used within these implementations are defined in
ETSI TS 102 172, but not even half of these Enumservices are decribed i
n RFCs yet (sip, h323, pres, web and ft).

Important Enumservices used and required are still only in draft status
(msg, fax, ifax, sms, mms, void,...).
sms and mms are also very important for the upcoming implementations
by 3GPP.

In detail:

The msg draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-msg-04.txt
Last activity 2005-02-16 by Harald:
Version -04 satisfies my concerns about references for mailed *MS messages,
and has also addressed the reviewer's significant commment.

The void draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-void-00.txt
Last activity WGLC 2005-02-03 (ended 2005-02-21)
Current Status still I-D Exists AND SHEPHERDING AD NOT ASSIGNED YET

Just for completeness:
The ifax draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fax-faxservice-enum-03.txt
In RFC Ed Queue since 2004-07-12 ?!?

I therefore request a clear position from the IESG whether
A. the IESG is still supportive of progess of ENUM
B. the IESG is not intersted in ENUM anymore
C. the IESG is objecting further progress in ENUM

In case A. I would like to see some progress soon.

In case of  B. or C. the IESG should say so, saving me. my company
and others unnecessary waste of manpower and travelling expenses
in the future. In this case I would propose to shift further work to
ETSI and continue the work in ETSI TS 102 172.

Richard Stastny