Re: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-unused

Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Wed, 09 September 2009 21:55 UTC

From: Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
To: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:56:27 +0100
Cc: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, IETF ENUM list <enum@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Enum] draft-ietf-enum-unused

Hi Bernie, folks,
  Pain? Nah! that doesn't cover it.
Regarding what happened next, not a lot. I suspect that Hadriel
volunteered without quite understanding what was involved.

I think by that point Richard Stastny (who initially proposed this)
had retired, Hadriel had implemented this in two flavours for
customers -- once in accordance to a VOID draft *and* separately in
accordance with an Unused draft. (I believe that something not a
million miles away from unused was involved with the Korean ENUM trial
as well ;).
For me, having moved text in and out and up and down so many time I
was losing the ability to see, objections to the data: URL (AFAICT ?!?
because it was intrinsically evil?!? - ask Rohan) left me unconvinced
that with me at the typewriter there would be any possibility of this
getting though IESG before *I* retired.
As I can't see anything wrong with it at all in its latest version
(having replaced the http: URL with a data: URL as requested), I don't
know any more.
I do know that this works exactly as described in the draft (qua any
typos that drifted into it over the years) -- and quite well, at that.

Is that enough?

all the best,
   Lawrence