Re: [EToSat] What we are looking for from QUIC

"Morten V. Pedersen" <morten@steinwurf.com> Tue, 10 December 2019 20:53 UTC

To: etosat@ietf.org
From: "Morten V. Pedersen" <morten@steinwurf.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 21:53:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [EToSat] What we are looking for from QUIC

Dear all,
Thanks for your input.

@Christian Thanks for the paper - I will carefully go though it. It
looks like a really nice motivation why coding is useful in multicast /
broadcast scenarios.

For multicast I would say that the gain of coding should also be present
even if the receivers have no packet loss, but simply are blocked from
time to time (this creates a discrepancy between the N receivers) which
would be costly to fix with a retransmission based system.

I have one question on the encoding you describe, you write that it can
be done with with XOR and shifts alone. Could you provide some more
details on that?

@John & CJ: In general I think that makes a lot of sense for
point-to-point links. You would typically use packet level FEC to avoid
retransmissions in which case you add redundancy on the link and if you
don't needed it - well then it is essentially wasted bandwidth.

All the best,
Morten