Re: [Extra] Fwd: Personnel change for extra WG

Michael Peddemors <michael@linuxmagic.com> Wed, 03 April 2019 23:40 UTC

To: extra@ietf.org
From: Michael Peddemors <michael@linuxmagic.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 16:40:41 -0700
Subject: Re: [Extra] Fwd: Personnel change for extra WG

On 2019-04-03 2:49 p.m., Michael Slusarz wrote:
>> On March 28, 2019 at 10:11 AM Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Regarding the IMAP flags, it sounds like you are asking for the
>> $JunkRecorded flag to be standardised, as a keyword which is only set
>> on user action?
> Similar keywords were part of the IMAP keyword registry draft
> (eventually RFC 5788), before it was taken out:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-04.txt
>
> Maybe Alexey can comment on the reasoning.
>
> (I'll note that $AutoJunk, along with $NoJunk, made it into some RFC
> 4551/5162/7162 examples...)
>
> For our customers, the much more interesting question is a method to
> inform mail clients *how* to report messages as Junk (or Not Junk).  RFC
> 6154 is as close as there is to a standard, with its "\Junk" label, but
> it doesn't explicitly provide details on whether messages moved to the
> \Junk mailbox, (or moved out of it) are definitively reported to an
> AV/AS provider.
>
> A SPECIAL-USE label of something like "\JunkReporting", with an explicit
> definition that messages moved into this mailbox by user action are
> reported as Junk and messages moved out of this mailbox by user action
> are reported as Not Junk, would be tremendously useful.
>
> michael

We would support this idea, but want to of course mention, that we have
to work with email client providers who still want their own use of a
flag, eg for training etc.. that the client would be responsible for
setting both flags, instead of just mucking with the \JunkReporting
flag.. or using it for purposes other than what it is intended.

Of course, it would be nice to define from an IMAP side, a 'hook'
mechanism, so that on detection of the change in that flag, a server
defined action could be called.

And should marking a message with that flag, mean that IMAP should move
it to the special use junk folder?  Or if it is in the junk folder,
should IMAP move the message to inbox?

We would of course like to see a 'hook' mechanism, that can be used so
we can also use that information for adding to the users
blacklist/whitelist natively via IMAP, instead of only through our
webmail implementations, no matter what email client the end user is using.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."