Re: [Fecframe] FECFrame WG Minutes IETF 75

Ye-Kui Wang <yekuiwang@huawei.com> Mon, 31 August 2009 15:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:58:58 -0400
From: Ye-Kui Wang <yekuiwang@huawei.com>
To: gjshep@gmail.com, fecframe@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] FECFrame WG Minutes IETF 75

A couple of more comments:

> Zou ZiXuan (ZZ): draft-zixuan-fecframe-source-mi-0 –
> presenting for colleagues
>
> AB: Is it okay for the repair packet to have the FEC payload
> header – it must have something anyway – but you are adding
> this kind of header to the source packets?
>
> ZZ: No, FEC payload header is not added to the source packet,
> it’s added to the repair packet and the information mapping packet.
>
> AB: Do we really need to consider non-framework capable receivers?
>
> ME: I don’t believe this violates our charter. But why are
> you doing this work?
>
> ZZ: For RTP receivers that my use FEC but do not support the
> FECFramework.

What I said was something like "For RTP receivers not using FEC and not support the FECFramework, e.g. RFC 3984 recievers".

> AB: We don’t modify the source packets anyway so this is not
> a problem.
>
> ZZ: The draft says it is recommended though optional to
> include this data.
>
> AB: All the cenarios we are aware of already use RTP and have
> sequence numbers so don’t need to include this data.
>
> ME: Chairs should prepair a letter to the list for use cases
> to see if we have responses.
>
> AB: This MIU would have to go into a separate datagram. What
> happens if it is lost or reordered. We need to be protected,
> robust at the receiver side.

After the above comment I said that the draft does specify ways for robustness, but anyway first of all we need to justify that the problem is valid and needs a solution. I think it is valueable for readers of the minutes to understand better the context if this comment is added.

BR, YK