Re: [Gen-art] [Detnet] Preliminary Qs for Genart review of draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases

Hesham ElBakoury <Hesham.ElBakoury@huawei.com> Mon, 24 September 2018 18:33 UTC

From: Hesham ElBakoury <Hesham.ElBakoury@huawei.com>
To: Hesham ElBakoury <Hesham.ElBakoury@huawei.com>, "eagros@dolby.com" <eagros@dolby.com>, "resnick@episteme.net" <resnick@episteme.net>, "draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases.shepherd@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases.shepherd@ietf.org>
CC: "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "detnet@ietf.org" <detnet@ietf.org>, "db3546@att.com" <db3546@att.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 18:32:54 +0000
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [Detnet] Preliminary Qs for Genart review of draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases

please ignore this message

Sent from HUAWEI AnyOffice
From:Hesham ElBakoury
To:eagros@dolby.com,resnick@episteme.net,draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases.shepherd@ietf.org
Cc:gen-art@ietf.org,detnet@ietf.org,db3546@att.com
Date:2018-09-24 20:32:06

where else it can be standardized besides IETF ?

Sent from HUAWEI AnyOffice
From:Grossman, Ethan A.
To:Pete Resnick,draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases.shepherd@ietf.org
Cc:gen-art@ietf.org,detnet@ietf.org,Deborah Brungard
Date:2018-09-24 19:31:40

Hi Pete,

My observation is that the DetNet WG made a decision to not have a "Requirements" draft, instead casting the Use Cases draft in that role, but in a more flexible way, i.e. the design is intended to achieve as much as can be achieved toward the "requirements" (the "least common denominator features" of those asked for in the collection of use cases) given a "reasonable" technology solution.

Thus as the DetNet design progressed, based on that model, certain features that were originally asked for in the Use Cases were eventually dropped from the Use Cases (and thus from the expectations of DetNet) when it was established that these features were not feasible given the sort of solution that we could create within the scope of DetNet (for example "it should work on the open Internet" was dropped).

I would claim that this role would justify publication, however that's just my $0.02.

Best,
Ethan (as editor of the Use Cases draft)