Re: [Gen-art] [Teas] review of draft-ietf-teas-lsp-attribute-ro-02.txt

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk> Wed, 04 March 2015 18:29 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:29:38 +0000
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk>
To: Cyril Margaria <cyril.margaria@gmail.com>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, draft-ietf-teas-lsp-attribute-ro.all@tools.ietf.org, "draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-li-lb.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-rsvp-te-li-lb.all@tools.ietf.org>, teas@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [Teas] review of draft-ietf-teas-lsp-attribute-ro-02.txt

On 04/03/2015 06:04, Cyril Margaria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your review,
> Please not that a new revision addressing IANA , APS-DIR and Gen-ART
> comments  on revision -02 is available.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-teas-lsp-attribute-ro-03
>
>   please see inline.
Hi, Cyril.

Yes:  my comments and the new version crossed.

However -03 doesn't significantly alter para 1 of s2.3.

Firstly, I am far from expert in this area, so I have not much clue as
to whether it would ever be useful or meaningful to associate an
attribute with a Label rather than with the entity identified by the
other subobject types.  However, it has just occurred to me that with
the loopback case, one needs to  decide that if there are two labels,
does loopback apply to both of them or just one?  Arrrgggh!

Perhaps something like the following, replacing the first two paras of
s2.3, would cover all the bases and push the decision down to the
document that defines the TLV(s)/flags used in the Hop attribute subobjects:

OLD:
    As described in [RFC3209] and [RFC3473] the ERO is managed as a list
    where each hop information starts with a subobject identifying an
    abstract node or link.  The ERO Hop Attributes subobject MAY be
    appended after any of the existing subobjects defined in [RFC3209],
    [RFC3473], [RFC3477], [RFC4873], [RFC4874], [RFC5520] and [RFC5553].
    Several ERO Hop Attributes subobject MAY be present, for each hop.

    Document defining specific Hop attribute TLV has to describe after
    which kind of subobject they are valid and if TLV modification rules
    applies.  For instance, subobject presence rules can be defined by
    describing rules similar to [RFC4990] Section 6.1.

NEW:
    As described in [RFC3209] the ERO is managed as a list of subobjects
    each identifying a specific entity, an abstract node or a link that
defines
    a waypoint in the ERO route.  Identifying subobjects of various
types are
    defined in [RFC3209], [RFC3477], [RFC4873], [RFC4874], [RFC5520] and
    [RFC5553].

    [RFC3473] modified the ERO list by allowing one or two Label subobjects
    to be interposed in the list after a subobject identifying an entity
by its
    IP address or interface identifier.   One or more ERO Hop attributes
    subobjects applicable to a particular hop MAY be inserted directly
after
    any of the existing identifying subobjects defined in [RFC3209],
[RFC3477],
    [RFC4873], [RFC4874], [RFC5520] and [RFC5553].  If any Label subobjects
    are present for a hop, the ERO Hop attributes subobject(s) MAY also be
    inserted after the Label subobjects.

    The attributes specified in a ERO Hop attributes subobject apply to
the hop
    that ends at the route waypoint identified by the immediately preceding
    identifying subobject in the ERO subobject list.

    A document defining a specific Hop attribute TLV has to describe
       -  after which kinds of subobject they are valid ,
       -  if ordering of the Hop attributes subobject and other subobjects
          associated with the same hop (e.g., Label subobjects) is
significant,
       -  if ordering is significant, how the attribute is interpreted in
          association with the preceding subobjects, and
       -  any TLV modification rules that might apply.
    For instance, subobject presence rules can be defined by describing
rules
    similar to [RFC4990] Section 6.1.

This might require a few words added to s2.2 to specify that the
ordering decision for individual flags is up to the definition of the
flag.  In turn that possibly means that the loopback draft needs to
think about whether the loopback applies to both labels or only the one
the loopback flag is after as mentioned above.

Regards,
Elwyn

PS
There is discussion about the .all aliases going to WG lists as well as
relevant individuals.  The long standing position was that they didn't
but change has recently been mooted.

/E