Re: [Gendispatch] Thoughts on draft-carpenter-gendispatch-draft-adoption

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 22 July 2020 13:09 UTC

To: adrian@olddog.co.uk, 'Michael Richardson' <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, gendispatch@ietf.org, draft-carpenter-gendispatch-draft-adoption@ietf.org
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:09:43 -0400
Subject: Re: [Gendispatch] Thoughts on draft-carpenter-gendispatch-draft-adoption

We may be disagreeing, as we did in an earlier email on a different
thread, about the meaning of WG adoption.
As I understand it, WG Adoption represents the WG agreeing that a given
document is a good starting point for working on solving a specific
problem that the WG wants to work on.

The formation of a chair-appointed DT probably does represent some
agreement that there is interest.  It does nnot represent that the WG
agrees that the DT output is a good starting point.  It is indeed hoped
that the result will be one the WG can adopt.  But the DT does not get
to assume WG agreement.

It is based on the above meaning for adoption that I object to a process
implication that a DT can force WG adoption of their result.

Yours,
Joel