Re: [Geopriv] HELD using XCAP wrt Common Policy/Geolocation Policy

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Mon, 21 September 2009 23:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:54:35 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>, "Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] HELD using XCAP wrt Common Policy/Geolocation Policy

I think that the answer that you were looking for is this:

Held-context had a few items that I still believe pertain to the minting of the URI, more so than the authorization policy.  Of those three functions you list below:

 -- authorization policy: common-policy is already used by held-context directly
 -- lifetime: managing the lifetime of the created resource is an important problem, and one that goes beyond what is available through policy (even if some of the effects can be mimicked by using policy)
 -- snapshot: I'm yet to see a workable proposal that extends common- or geopriv-policy; I'd love to see one.

Regarding the fundamentals:

The problem I have is the continuing mutation of the HELD locationRequest.  I was perhaps in the minority when it came to deciding that "locationURI" was a location type.  I would have preferred that locationURI was the subject of an entirely separate request (i.e. context creation).  Sure, there are some good reasons for it being as it is, but those are reasons of convenience for the most part.

Thus, on consideration, the largest problem I have with your proposal is that it continues to build on something that is only marginally useful in the first place.  The net result is an increase in complexity, with less to show for it.

However, I see this as constructive input on held-context.  I've been toying with ideas regarding better modularity and use of REST-like principles in its design.  Perhaps there's an opportunity to make some improvements.

--Martin