Re: [Geopriv] A modest proposal w.r.t. location URI policy

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Mon, 21 September 2009 07:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:27:13 +0300
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: "ext Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>, GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] A modest proposal w.r.t. location URI policy

Hi James,

Good question. I would say URI set rather than URI.

Furthermore, I wonder whether the idea of providing a policy URI applies
more to DHCP only. My arguments are below.

In HELD the possession model was chosen as a starting point with the
option to support the access control authorization model later. There
are a few things one still want to do that are not part of the Common
Policy/Geolocation Policy work we did and they are described in this
document (HELD context):
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-context-04.txt
We also tried to enhance the gelocation policy document to support the
functionality described in
draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-context-04.txt and to change
draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-context-04.txt to re-use the geolocation
policy format (but these approaches seemed to be rather useless).

I could imagine that adding the ability to upload Common
Policy/Geolocation Policy as an add-on to
draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-context-04.txt is a lot easier than
using XCAP, particularly since I believe that 95% of the cases will only
make usage of a fraction of Common Policy (and nothing from the
geolocation policy document).

I would also add that I still believe that one would be much better of
with a combined model of possession and access control model where the
Device uploads the received LbyR to a separate server, such as a
presence server, and there full-version of access control policies are
enforced. This would require something like
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-garcia-geopriv-indirect-publish-00.txt

Ciao
Hannes