Re: [grobj] Referral definition and its purpose?

Sheng Jiang <shengjiang@huawei.com> Wed, 19 May 2010 05:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:17:51 +0800
From: Sheng Jiang <shengjiang@huawei.com>
To: 'Keith Moore' <moore@network-heretics.com>
Cc: grobj@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [grobj] Referral definition and its purpose?

Hi, Keith,

Fully agree. The approach we are discussing is application independent. So, natually, the solution
we may produce will have the ability to traverse application boundaries. My ideal model is the
referral will happen in transport layer to serve all applications.

> I also think that part of the purpose for standardizing
> referral objects is to facilitate referrals between one
> application and another.  If all referrals were within the
> same application, there would be less need to standardize the
> object, as each application could develop its own.

The same with above. We are going to standardize application independent referral, both referral
objects and referral behaviors. However, the WG, if we gets approved, only aims to understand the
referral problems and requirements. Only after we finish ps and requirements, if we find that
defining referral objects and referral behaviors is needed, we may recharter to work on it.

> Another purpose in standardizing referral objects is to allow
> standardized APIs to manipulate referral objects and to allow
> those APIs to be reusable across multiple applications.

Abosolutely.

> However IETF doesn't usually standardize APIs.  So this by
> itself might be seen as a weak justification in IETF circles.

We can find out only after we complete the study in new WG.

Cheers,

Sheng