Re: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-simple-va

Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net> Mon, 30 April 2012 02:43 UTC

From: Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
To: "robert@raszuk.net" <robert@raszuk.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:42:41 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-simple-va

Robert,

These drafts are unique in my experience as an AD.

The WG Last Call appears to have occurred in the 14 days following July 29, 2010. I don't see any firm conclusion to that last call. The closest thing to a conclusion that I see is the following message in which Paul Francis encourages the chairs to interpret silence as consent:

- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/grow/current/msg01748.html

However, the chairs are silent. On March 17, 2011, I see the following messages from Wes George:

- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/grow/current/msg01851.html
- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/grow/current/msg01850.html

Because the authors are still seeking review seven months after the WG Last Call, I infer that the July 29 Last Call was inconclusive. (Otherwise, why would they still be seeking review?)

I have no clear indication that consensus was called until March, 2012 when the chairs sent the drafts to me for publication. However, because the WG was mostly silent regarding these drafts between March 2011 and March 2012, I have no idea what events caused consensus to be called.

Because the WG Last Call process was so irregular, I asked about WG interest and received a tepid response. As I recall, only one positive response posted by a non-author.

So, how do we proceed? If you want to demonstrate WG support of draft-ietf-grow-simple-va, let the WG LC proceed. If you want to publish without demonstrating WG support, I would be glad to AD sponsor that draft.

However, I have reservations about AD sponsoring draft-ietf-grow-va because of the negative response I received regarding that draft when I queried the mailing list. I would really be much more comfortable if that draft went through another IETF last call.

                                    Ron

P.S. BTW, the short answer to your question is that these drafts are receiving more scrutiny because the WG Last Call process was so irregular.