Re: [homenet] primary / secondary configuration

"Ray Hunter (v6ops)" <v6ops@globis.net> Sun, 09 June 2019 11:51 UTC

To: Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com>
Cc: homenet <homenet@ietf.org>
From: "Ray Hunter (v6ops)" <v6ops@globis.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 13:51:44 +0200
Subject: Re: [homenet] primary / secondary configuration

Daniel Migault wrote on 07/06/2019 22:27:
> Hi,
>
> We are looking for a simple way to configure the primary / secondary
> DNS setting between the homenet and the outsourcing infrastructure.
> The exchange of these information is done over a secure channel - let
> say TLS. While we coudl re-define a configuration template / mechanism
> we believe that re-using widely deployed libraries would ease the
> deployment.
>
> The HNA is responsible for building / signing the zone and
> synchronising the zone with the outsourcing infrastructure. To build
> the zone some elements of the infrastructure are needed such as the NS
> and IP for example. One way to enable the transmission of information
> from the the outsourcing infrastructure to the homenet is to use an
> well known fqdn hna.example.com <http://hna.example.com> with an AXFR
> request. Does it sound reasonable ?

Stating the obvious: if an HNA is going to sign a zone, it has to own a
globally unique delegated zone.

I see 3 ways of delegating a piece of namespace and gathering the input
for the SOA:

1) HNA is pre-configured with one or more DNS outsourcing providers in
the admin GUI e.g. <example.com>.

User picks one via LuCI.

HNA creates a proposed zone name e.g. <HN-ULA>.<example.com> or asks for
a proposal from the user.

DNS Outsourcing Infra confirms that <HN-ULA>.<example.com> is unique via
the parent zone <example.com>

2) HNA is pre-configured with one or more DNS outsourcing providers in
the GUI e.g. <example.com>.

User picks one via LuCI.

HNA contacts <example.com>.

HNA receives the zone nameĀ  <HN-XXX>.<example.com> from the DNS
Outsourcing Infra.

3) HNA owner purchases a nice name from a registrar e.g.
<me.mydomain.com>. Domain Registrar and the DNS Outsourcing Infra
example.com, don't share a common parent zone.

IMHO for (1) and (2) we already have working outbound DNS resolution in
place, and the HNA can gather SOA variables using either a simple SOA
lookup of the parent zone, or via a SOA + and AXFR to fetch a template.

(1) dig -t soa example.com +dnssec -> NS1 NS2 + AAAA RR + timers of the
parent -> copied 1:1 to the child zone <hn-ULA>.example.com.
Obvious disadvantage: everyone is tied to the same infra, timers, and NS RR.
Advantage: cheap and cheerful.

(2) dig -t soa example.com +dnssec|perl extract_MNAME_from_SOA.pl; dig
@$MNAME -t axfr <hn-ULA>.example.com +dnssec|perl extract_SOA_variables.pl;

The MNAME in example.com SOA would contain the name of the DM config
server/template server.

The DM config server/template server would either have to generate the
template on the fly, or have one pre-configured during sign up.

(3) would have to be out of band or require something much more complex.