Re: [http-auth] re-call for IETF http-auth BoF

"Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@w3.org> Sun, 05 June 2011 21:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 22:32:44 +0100
From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
To: http-auth@ietf.org, y.oiwa@aist.go.jp
Cc: public-identity@w3.org, websec@ietf.org, saag@ietf.org, Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
Subject: Re: [http-auth] re-call for IETF http-auth BoF

> Dear all at http-auth mailing list,
> (Cc: Peter, Sean, Harry, and related mailing lists subscribers)
>
> following the discussions in the Prague http-auth Bar-BoF in March,
> and the W3C Identity in Browser workshop in the last month, now I
> would like to re-call the formation of BoF for http-auth in IETF.  The
> workshop was really hot and enjoying, and there were so many useful
> inputs to both Web community and IETF, I believe.  Some materials
> presented and discussed there are available at
> <http://www.w3.org/2011/identity-ws/>.
>
> # Harry, are the *output* materials ofn the workshop already available to
> public?

The workshop already links to all papers and slides on the website. There
will be a final report released in about 2 weeks. The
public-identity@w3.org will be list I use to get input to the draft final
report, to join email "subscribe" in subject line to
public-identity-request@w3.org. From my memory there was interest in
MutualAuth, primarily from the financial industry and banks, who really
did seem to want it. The browser vendors were of course skeptical of
anything in chrome, but other discussions such as Dirk Balfanz's do to
auth in the OS layer could provide an alternative.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/identity-ws/