Re: [http-auth] [saag] re-call for IETF http-auth BoF

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Mon, 06 June 2011 10:09 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:30:48 +0300
To: http-auth@ietf.org, y.oiwa@aist.go.jp
Subject: Re: [http-auth] [saag] re-call for IETF http-auth BoF

Hi Yutaka,

it is definitely a good idea to get ourselves organized to continue our work in securing the Web.

For me, the main questions are:

 * What is the biggest problem?
    You, for example, point to the usage of forms for user authentication in Web pages in the agenda proposal.
    The NSTIC fans seem to believe that passwords are the problem to begin with.

 * What solution approach is most promising? (or multiple approaches)
     You seem to suggest to standardize a strong-password based authentication mechanism in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-oiwa-http-mutualauth-05
     NSTIC fans seem to believe that the approach is towards stronger credentials (non-password-based) and the usage of federated log-ins.
     Again others believe that we will never agree on a single authentication protocol and hence we need a framework that allows passwords to be plugged in dynamically.
     Browser vendors are interested, as you may recall from the Identity in the Browser discussion, in standardizing username/password form indications  so that the user does not need to type their username & password too often into forms - but the browser does it instead.

 * How do we motivate the different stakeholders to implement and deploy our favorite solutions? (There is also the usability issue for the user.)
    Whatever you come up with changes are needed on the client, and on the server side. That requires a lot of cooperation.

Ciao
Hannes